SURVIVE STUDENT RESOURCE
Version 1.5 (May 2021)
Welcome to the Survive First-Aid Student Resource.
To navigate through this resource, simply click on the stacked icon in the top left of the page. You will then be able to see a menu of all topic areas on the left. You can also search from this menu.
Content in this this booklet is sourced from public downloads and open-source information provided by the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC). The content has not been altered in any way, only presented as a single document.
Copyright for all Guidelines and content (including text, logos and images) is owned by the Australian Resuscitation Council. The content within these guidelines has been provided for general information purposes only as they may not be relevant to particular circumstances or situations. Australian Resuscitation Council makes the information available on the basis that it is not providing professional advice.
All content can be found at:
Australian Resuscitation Council Disclaimer and Copyright details can be found at: https://resus.org.au/download/general/arc-disclaimer-and-copyright-statement.pdf
Content reproduced with the permission of the ARC. None of the contents of this resource is to be modified or incorporated into a different document without the permission of the ARC.
Additional content is sourced from public downloads and open-source information provided by:
- Wilderness Medical Society
- Asthma Australia
- Allergy and Anaphylaxis Australia
- Stroke Foundation Australia
- The Heart Foundation
- The Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI)
- The Black Dog Institute
- Wilderness Medicine Society
- The Australian Venom Research Unit
- Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy Ltd (ASCIA)
- The Asthma Foundation of Victoria
- RAW Medicine
To read offline
On a mobile device, go to your browser settings and select 'Add to Home Screen'. Select 'OK' and the student resource will download to be viewed from your device storage. On a desktop, simply bookmark this page. The content is saved to your browser cache until such time as you clear your browser cache.
Note: Regardless of the device you are using, the book will remain offline until your browser cache is cleared. If offline access is absolutely necessary and you clear your browser cache often (i.e. slow buggy phone) then consider downloading the PDF version as a backup.
If you're having trouble installing, uninstalling or updating this app, further help may be found in this guide: https://austererisk.com/knowledge-base/field-apps/installation
To download this resource as a PDF, click the link the PDF link at the top of the page. A PDF will open in a new tab and you have the option to download or print. Depending on when you downloaded the PDF, you may not be viewing the latest information. Return to https://survive-student-resource.austererisk.com to view and download the latest version.
Every heading in this book is linked. If you are communicating with your instructor about a particular topic, you can link the nearest heading by right-clicking (or long press on mobile/tablet) to the right of the heading, and copy the link as shown in the image below. The link can then be pasted in an email e.g. https://survive-student-resource.austererisk.com/general/anzcor_3_unconscious_victim.html#1-causes-of-unconsciousness
v1.5 (May 2021)
Added the following resources:
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.2.12 - Recognition and First Aid Management of the Seriously Ill Person Including Sepsis
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.2.11 - First Aid Management of the Agitated Person
Survive First-Aid Pocket Handbook:
- Evidence-based Guide to Heat Stress
- Assess the Cold Patient
- Care for the Cold Patient
v1.4 (May 2021)
Updated the following guidelines to reflect ANZCOR changes:
- ANZCOR BLS Flowchart
- ANZCOR Guideline 2 - Managing an Emergency
- ANZCOR Guideline 3 - Recognition and First Aid Management of the Unconscious Person
- ANZCOR Guideline 4 - Airway
- ANZCOR Guideline 5 - Breathing
- ANZCOR Guideline 6 - Compressions
- ANZCOR Guideline 7 - Automated External Defibrillation in Basic Life Support
- ANZCOR Guideline 8 - Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.1.1 - First Aid for Management of Bleeding
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.1.5 - Harness Suspension Trauma - First Aid Management
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.2.1 - Recognition and First Aid Management of Suspected Heart Attack
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.2.2 - Stroke
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.2.9 - First-aid Management of a Diabetic Emergency
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.2.10 - The Use of Oxygen in Emergencies
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.3.5 - Resuscitation and First Aid for Divers who have Breathed Compressed Gas
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.4.1- Australian Snake Bite
- ANZCOR Guideline 9.4.2 - Australian Spider Bite
v1.3 (March 2020)
Added the following guidelines:
- Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Treatment and Prevention of Drowning: 2019 Update
- Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for Diabetes Management
- Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Out-of-Hospital Evaluation and Treatment of Accidental Hypothermia: 2019 Update
- Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for Water Disinfection for Wilderness, International Travel, and Austere Situations
Updated the following guidelines:
- Wilderness Medical Society Practice Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Heat Illness: 2019 Update
- Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Frostbite: 2019 Update
- Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for Spinal Cord Protection
- Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Acute Altitude Illness: 2019 Update